Hurt on the Job? Here’s How to File for Worker’s Compensation

Hurt on the Job? Here’s How to File for Worker’s Compensation

Many employers offer worker compensation packages for staff who suffer a medical event on the job. You may have fallen and broken a bone. Perhaps you lifted something too high and pulled a muscle. The policy works for most employees who followed protocols and, for some reason, ended up hurt. If you believe you qualify for assistance, be sure to complete the following steps.

1. Speak with Your Manager

States have various laws about claiming financial aid. Many of them have deadlines and require prompt reporting of the incident. It’s best to declare any issues the minute it happens. For example, Iowa workers compensation laws require someone to request help within 90 days of the incident. The longer you wait, the harder it could be to seek compensation.

Inform your manager about the event. Be specific about where you hurt and ask for the appropriate medical paperwork to fill out.

2. Work with Medical Staff

Most companies work with insurance doctors to perform an initial medical assessment. This physical is completed to identify what is wrong and how you may need help. During this time, the physician may determine you cannot work. This documentation is essential to validate your claim. Be sure to go to the business’s doctor. If you disagree with the opinion, seek an extra exam from someone else and submit it for comparison.

3. Research State Laws

Because every state is a bit different, you’ll want to research what is available in your area. Usually, medical treatment is covered as well as compensation for wages while unable to work. Some locations also offer training for other professionals and reimburse you for medical travel. Use this knowledge to fight for everything you need.

Workers’ compensation programs lend a hand when life interferes with your job. It’s a chance to recuperate without worrying about salary and medical treatment bills. If you’re injured at the workplace, reach out to your employer, asking for assistance.