Workers under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act

Workers under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act

Staff working in sectors on navigable waters is covered under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act. However, several jobs frequently deal with such industries and are not categorized under a maritime job role. Nevertheless, particular workers in these sectors can secure compensation for work-related injuries under the Longshore and Harbor workers’ compensation act.

Below are some examples of jobs under the act:

  • Employees that qualify for the compensation acts are found operating under the following roles:
  • Workers in the oil-producing sections
  • Building barges and boats
  • Staff employed as dock hands
  • Workers transporting cargo and goods
  • Employees that repair ships

The staff in the above roles are highly compensated considering the dangers faced. Injuries have impacts that can significantly change your entire life for the worse. Suppose you perform the job functions above and do not fall under the compensation act. In that case, you are posed with the same risk and placed at risk without equal opportunity: you are not qualified for compensation if an accident occurs at the workplace. Shoreside jobs undertook some distance from the pier should also be considered under the LWHCA.

Steps to take in the case of a workplace injury

Working in the shipyard is hazardous. Several routine accidents occur in such a workplace. The majority of the injuries suffered by staff are a result of exposure to repetitive motions and trauma. The roles comprise welding, lifting, ship lifting, stooping, and bending: such injuries may be disabling.

Suppose you or your family member has a sore back, sore knee, or other similar experiences and faces a potential layoff. In that case, you require immediate and proper action to protect your rights. When joining a new workplace, you should truthfully fill in the medical questionnaire and undertake a physical assessment. Filling out employment contracts and applications, you should be honest about your state. If you experience back injuries, for instance, you need to report having a back injury.

If you are laid off because of experiencing an injury at the shipyard, you should try to file a Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act claim. Below are some steps you should follow for a successful procedure:

Find a suitable lawyer

Get a seasoned Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act lawyer. You require an attorney that specializes in the Longshore Act. Confirm information about the lawyer: do a background search on the lawyer. The web is resourceful in providing details about various legal professionals: read through the review section to determine what clients have to say about the experience in previous trials undertaken by the lawyer you intend to engage.

Report an injury before lying off

It is essential to try and report an accident or injury before being laid off. It is better t report a workplace injury while still employed. This helps you a lot and may not necessarily be fatal to your claim if you do not report the damage before getting laid off.

The best approach when reporting an injury is engaging a lawyer to ensure proper reporting. The professional enables you to list down the occurrence of the event correctly.

Choose a doctor of your choice

Choose services from specialists that are experienced in handling workplace injuries. The wrong choice of doctor may lead to worsening of the condition resulting from workplace accidents. You are entitled to choose a physician of your choice. You can consult an experienced longshore act lawyer for suggestions about the best doctors for workplace injuries.

In case you are or know a loved one who is a harbor worker and want to know how to go about the payment under this act, you can consult a reputable workers’ compensation lawyer for more details.